Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10065
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, located in New York City, is one of the top mesothelioma hospitals in the world. The center featured three specialists and a team of doctors to help patients.
Pleural Mesothelioma and
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue
New York, New York
Dr. Marjorie Zauderer
Dr. Prasad Adusumilli
Dr. Valerie Rusch
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is located in the heart of New York City. The hospital has affiliations with Cornell University’s medical college and the New York Proton Center, a center offering the new proton radiation therapy to mesothelioma patients.
National Cancer Institute designated Memorial Sloan Kettering as an NCI-designated hospital. There are only a handful of cancer centers treating mesothelioma with this designation. Memorial Sloan Kettering has provided patient care for more than a century, making it one of the oldest cancer hospitals in the United States.
Memorial Sloan Kettering treats pleural mesothelioma and peritoneal mesothelioma cases. Dr. Marjorie Zauderer and Dr. Prasad Adusumilli are Co-Directors of the hospital’s Mesothelioma Program. They oversee the specialists involved in forming treatment plans for patients. One of the thoracic surgeons is Dr. Valerie Rusch, one of the most experienced pleural mesothelioma doctors in the world.
- Dr. Marjorie Zauderer, Co-Director of Mesothelioma Program
- Dr. Prasad Adusumilli, Co-Director of Mesothelioma Program
- Dr. Valerie Rusch, Thoracic Surgeon
- Dr. Daniela Molena, Director of Esophageal Surgery Program
- Dr. Daniel Gomez, Director of Thoracic Radiation Oncology
- Dr. Charles Simone, Chief Medical Officer of New York Proton Center
- Dr. Garrett Nash, peritoneal mesothelioma surgeon
- Dr. Andrea Cercek, Co-Director of Center for young Onset Colorectal and Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Dr. William Travis, Director of Thoracic Pathology
- Weill Cornell Medicine of Cornell University
- New York Proton Center
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery
- Pleurectomy/decortication surgery
- Systemic chemotherapy
- Radiation therapy
- Cytoreductive surgery with HIPEC (peritoneal mesothelioma)
- Heated intraoperative chemotherapy
Get Connected to Memorial Sloan Kettering
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is located in New York City and features a team of doctors who treat mesothelioma cases. No matter the stage of your cancer, the center can develop an individualized treatment plan for you.
Why Choose Memorial Sloan Kettering?
- A dedicated mesothelioma program for treatment planning
- Host site of clinical trials and new approaches to treatment
- High ranking among hospitals for cancer treatment
Memorial Sloan Kettering at Forefront of Innovation
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is one of the leading hospitals for malignant mesothelioma clinical trials. Just recently, the hospital has started studies using:
- Radiation therapy with the immunotherapy drug Keytruda
- Mesothelin-targeted CAR T-cell therapy with Keytruda
- Cancer vaccine combined with nivolumab
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and immunotherapy before surgery
The center has close to a dozen clinical trials currently recruiting for mesothelioma patients. Memorial Sloan Kettering was part of the multi-center trial looking into immunotherapy drugs Opdivo and Yervoy as a first-line option for unresectable cases. This study led to Opdivo and Yervoy being FDA-approved for mesothelioma.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has been ranked second on the U.S. News & World Report Hospitals Honor Roll list for two straight years.
Host of Groundbreaking CAR T-cell Therapy Study
Memorial Sloan Kettering is hosting an innovative clinical trial with CAR T-cell therapy, which is a type of cell and gene therapy for cancer. Scientists modify patients’ T cells in a laboratory to focus them on killing cancer cells expressing a specific protein.
For mesothelioma, the target protein for CAR T-cell therapy is usually mesothelin.
Memorial Sloan Kettering’s clinical study pairs the mesothelin-targeted CAR T-cell therapy with another immunotherapy, an immune checkpoint inhibitor. It’s a phase 1 trial with up to 30 spots for mesothelioma patients. The study is active and no longer recruiting patients, meaning it may have reached the limit for participants.
- Not listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 2nd in general cancer treatment
- Ranked 19th in gastrointestinal cancer surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
- Ranked 22nd in lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
How to See a Doctor at Memorial Sloan Kettering
We can help you start the process of scheduling your first appointment at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. The first step is contacting a patient advocacy organization such as Mesothelioma Guide.
Nurse Karen Ritter is our lead patient advocate and helps people like you or your loved one contact hospitals. Email her at email@example.com for tips on finding a cancer center. You can also request help through our cancer center form page.
Sources & Author
- Mesothelioma Experts. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/mesothelioma/experts. Accessed: 03/03/2022.
- Find a Cancer Center. National Cancer Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/cancer-centers/find. Accessed: 03/03/2022.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ny/memorial-sloan-kettering-cancer-center-6213060. Accessed: 03/03/2022.
- Mesothelin-targeted CAR T-cell Therapy in Patients With Mesothelioma. Clinicaltrials.gov. Retrieved from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04577326. Accessed: 07/06/2021.