JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at Fox Chase Cancer Center
Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of the Temple University Health System, has a multidisciplinary team of experienced physicians who work together to diagnose, treat, and manage all forms of mesothelioma. Each member of the mesothelioma team is focused on delivering specialized care to their patients.
Founded in 1904, Fox Chase was one of the first cancer centers to open in the country and among the first to be designated as a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. NCI designated Fox Chase as a center of excellence in cancer treatment, prevention, research and education.
“As an NCI-designated cancer center, we offer fellowship-trained surgeons and a multidisciplinary care team that has vast experience treating this disease,” said Dr. Stephanie Greco, surgical oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Dr. Joseph Friedberg, the Thoracic Surgeon-in-Chief, has worked at multiple top cancer centers and has an extensive history treating pleural mesothelioma. He joined Temple Health in 2022 after working as thoracic surgeon at the University of Maryland Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dr. Friedberg and Melissa Culligan, RN, (a PhD candidate) are the Co-Directors of the Temple Health and Fox Chase Cancer Center Mesothelioma and Pleural Disease Program.
- Dr. Joseph Friedberg, Thoracic Surgeon-in-Chief and Co-Director of the Mesothelioma and Pleural Disease Program, Temple University Health System and Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Melissa Culligan, RN, BSN, MSc, PhD candidate, Director of Thoracic Surgery Research in the Department of Thoracic Medicine and Surgery at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University, Co-Director of the Mesothelioma and Pleural Disease Program
- Dr. Stephanie Greco, Director of Surgical Quality
- Dr. Sanjay Reddy, Attending Surgeon, Department of Surgical Oncology
- Temple University Health System
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP)
- Pleurectomy/decortication (P/D)
- Cytoreductive surgery and heated intraoperative chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Interventional pulmonology
- Clinical trials
Get Connected to Fox Chase Cancer Center
Fox Chase Cancer Center is one of the top cancer centers in the country. This institution offers a variety of mesothelioma specialists and treatment options.
Why Choose Fox Chase?
- Extensive mesothelioma care team
- Multidisciplinary approach to treatment
- Experienced mesothelioma surgeons and specialists
Fox Chase Mesothelioma Treatment Team
With an extensive mesothelioma care team, Fox Chase prides itself on the multidisciplinary approach to mesothelioma treatment. The mesothelioma care team includes pleural mesothelioma surgeons, peritoneal mesothelioma surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists and pulmonologists.
Due to the vast experience of Fox Chase’s mesothelioma team, this cancer center provides various mesothelioma treatment options, including surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation and groundbreaking clinical trials. The results of clinical trials performed at Fox Chase have had a crucial impact in advancing the understanding of diagnosis and treatment for various cancers around the world.
Fox Chase has two surgeons each for pleural mesothelioma (forms in the lining of the lungs) and peritoneal mesothelioma (forms in the lining of the abdominal cavity). The center staffing two specialists for each type of mesothelioma shows the commitment to helping patients with these rare and aggressive cancers.
Pleural Mesothelioma Surgeons
- Dr. Joseph Friedberg – Division of Thoracic Surgery
- Melissa Culligan, RN, PhD candidate – Department of Thoracic Medicine and Surgery
Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgeons
- Dr. Stephanie H. Greco – Division of General Surgery
- Dr. Sanjay S. Reddy – Division of General Surgery
- Not listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2023-2024 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 42nd in general cancer treatment
- Ranged 13th in urology cancer treatment
- Not listed for lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
- Not listed for gastroenterology and GI surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
Patient Assistance Services at Fox Chase Cancer Center
Fox Chase Cancer Center offers various patient assistance services to help patients and their loved ones feel more comfortable throughout their treatment.
Fox Chase has patient coordinators who help patients and families find affordable housing accommodations near the cancer center. This resource gives families the ability to support and comfort their loved one as they are seeing specialists or receiving treatments.
International Patient Services
The international patient demand is high and the need for high-quality medical services is growing. Patients come to the Philadelphia area from all over the world looking for advanced patient care. Fox Chase Cancer Center has partnered with other top medical facilities in the Philadelphia area to provide the needed healthcare resources for the growing international population.
Cancer impacts the entire family. For that reason, Fox Chase has developed a wide range of support services to address the needs of their patients and families. The support services include:
- Integrative care
- Nurse navigation
- Nutritional support
- Palliative care and pain management
- Pastoral care
- Rehabilitation care
- Social work
- Support groups
- Stress management
Our patient advocates are knowledgeable about top cancer centers, including Fox Chase. They can help relieve the pressure of finding the best cancer center. If you’d like to schedule an initial meeting with Fox Chase Cancer Center, reach out to our patient advocate Karen Ritter. She’s a registered nurse who can guide you through the process of coordinating a consultation and connecting with these cancer centers. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sources & Author
- About Us. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/about-us. Accessed: 05/11/2023.
- Treatment Options for Mesothelioma. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/clinical-care/conditions/mesothelioma/treatment. Accessed: 05/11/2023.
- Our Mesothelioma Doctors & Care Team. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/clinical-care/conditions/mesothelioma/care-team. Accessed: 05/12/2023.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma Treatment. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/clinical-care/conditions/mesothelioma/treatment/peritoneal-mesothelioma. Accessed: 05/12/2023.
- Pleural Mesothelioma Treatment. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/clinical-care/conditions/mesothelioma/treatment/pleural-mesothelioma. Accessed: 05/12/2023.
- Clinical Trials for Mesothelioma. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/clinical-care/conditions/mesothelioma/clinical-trials. Accessed: 05/15/2023.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/pa/fox-chase-cancer-center-6231660#rankings. Accessed: 05/15/2023.
- Fox Chase and Temple Health Clinicians Appointed to New Positions With International Mesothelioma Interest Group. Fox Chase Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.foxchase.org/news/2023-10-16-fox-chase-and-temple-health-clinicians-appointed-to-new-positions-with-international-mesothelioma-interest-group. Accessed: 10/17/2023.