JUMP TO A TOPIC
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Eugene Choi
Dr. Choi is a leader in the treatment of peritoneal mesothelioma. He’s also affiliated with the local VA Medical Center to help veterans with this cancer.
Prior to joining the Baylor St. Luke’s team, he was a faculty member in the section of general surgery and surgical oncology at the University of Chicago’s affiliate medical facility, UChicago Medicine.
He’s also an associate professor of surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. This college is affiliated with the Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center.
- Medical Degree from the University of Chicago, 1997
- Residency in General Surgery at the University of Chicago, 1999
- Fellowship in Surgical Oncology Research at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- Residency at the University of Chicago, 2004
- Fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2007
- Certified in Surgical Oncology by the Society of Surgical Oncology
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Recipient of the American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant from the University of Chicago
- Recipient of the Clinical Excellence Award from MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Recipient of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Foundation Merit Award and Cancer Research Foundation Young Investigator Award
Get Connected to Dr. Eugene Choi
Dr. Choi is an experienced peritoneal mesothelioma specialist. He’s noteworthy for being the only known specialist for this cancer at a VA hospital. He is a faculty member of Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center and sees patients at the Houston VA medical center.
Why Choose Dr. Choi?
- Understands peritoneal mesothelioma disease
- Performs cytoreduction/HIPEC surgery
- Treats veterans with rare peritoneal mesothelioma
Clinical Interest in Peritoneal Mesothelioma
Dr. Choi is a board‑certified surgical oncologist. He specializes in peritoneal surface malignancies. This mostly includes peritoneal mesothelioma, which forms in the thin lining of tissue encompassing the abdominal cavity.
This tissue lining covers many organs, including the spleen, liver, small and large intestines, pancreas and gallbladder. Tumors in this lining can quickly reach many of these organs. Early diagnosis and aggressive treatment is important for beating the disease. This is where Dr. Choi steps in.
Dr. Choi is a highly skilled surgical oncologist. For peritoneal mesothelioma, he performs cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC. This is a debulking process combined with heated chemotherapy. The intent is to remove tumors from the abdominal cavity and treat the remaining tumors not found in surgery.
Veterans Cases Through Houston VA
Dr. Choi also treats veterans with peritoneal mesothelioma. He sees these cases at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, also called the Houston VA Medical Center. This VA hospital is affiliated with Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center and the Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Veterans of the U.S. military make up around 30% of all mesothelioma cases. Unfortunately, few VA hospitals treat mesothelioma with surgery or promising therapies. The Houston VA is an asset for any veteran with this cancer.
If you need further assistance or want to speak with someone directly first, email our patient advocates. Veterans can email retired Navy Lieutenant Commander Carl Jewett at firstname.lastname@example.org. Another option is our registered nurse, Karen Ritter, at email@example.com.
Sources & Author
- Eugene Choi, M.D. Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved from: https://www.bcm.edu/people-search/eugene-choi-19544. Accessed: 10/20/2021.
- Division of Surgical Oncology. Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved from: https://www.bcm.edu/departments/surgery/divisions/surgical_oncology. Accessed: 10/20/2021.
- Eugene Choi, MD. St. Luke’s Health. Retrieved from: https://www.stlukeshealth.org/find-a-doctor/1609960681-eugene-choi. Accessed: 10/20/2021.