JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital
Massachusetts General Hospital – sometimes shortened to Massachusetts General or Mass General – is a leading cancer institution in the northeast region of the United States. Located in the heart of Boston, it’s conveniently located near a major airport and accessible to all patients.
Mass General offers the Center for Thoracic Cancers to anyone with pleural mesothelioma, among other malignancies. The aim is to provide personalized multidisciplinary care. This involves surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.
Massachusetts General has the prestigious distinction of being the teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School, one of the most renowned medical education institutions in the world. There’s also an affiliate cancer center: Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, which is shortened to Mass General Cancer Center.
- Dr. Yolonda Colson, Chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery
- Dr. Justin Gainor, Director of the Center of Thoracic Cancers
- Dr. Michael Lanuti, Director of Thoracic Oncology
- Dr. Jennifer Temel, Clinical Director of Thoracic Oncology
- Dr. Henning Willers, Director of Thoracic Radiation Oncology
- Harvard Medical School
- Mass General Cancer Center
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery
- Radiation therapy
Get Connected to Massachusetts General
Massachusetts General Hospital is a worthy option for any mesothelioma patient seeking a cancer center for their care. Options include aggressive surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and palliative care.
Why Choose Massachusetts General?
- Multidisciplinary staff available for patient care
- Hosting innovative clinical trials for quality of life
Top Ranking Among Mesothelioma Hospitals
Massachusetts General is one of the top-ranked hospitals in the United States. The website U.S. News & World Report publishes an annual ranking of medical institutions based on many criteria. It also categorizes rankings into different areas, including general cancer treatment and types of cancer surgery and care.
Massachusetts General ranks high among hospitals for all types of care and first in Massachusetts. The hospital is also in the top 30 for general cancer care, gastrointestinal cancer surgery and lung cancer surgery, which applies to peritoneal mesothelioma and pleural mesothelioma.
- Listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2023-2024 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 1st in Massachusetts
- Ranked 28th for general cancer treatment
- Ranked 17th in gastrointestinal cancer surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
- Ranked 17th in lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
Innovative Clinical Trial for Mesothelioma
Most clinical trials for mesothelioma involve new therapies hoping to shrink tumors and prolong survival. Massachusetts General Hospital took a different approach: improving quality of life and managing expectations following treatment.
Dr. Lara Traeger led the study, which was titled “The Transitions Program.” Mesothelioma was the focus, hoping to help patients in their post-treatment and post-cancer lives.
The study compared two groups of mesothelioma patients:
- One receiving counseling right when treatment ends and again after 14 weeks
- Another receiving consistent counseling sessions during the 14-week period
The idea is to provide regular mental health awareness and care to patients after treatment. This program can address many questions and fears, including:
- Will the cancer return?
- Will symptoms go away?
- When will I return to normal functioning?
How to Begin Treatment at Massachusetts General
Massachusetts General Hospital and Massachusetts General Cancer Center combine as a top-ranked medical institution in the United States. Mesothelioma is one of many malignancies treated by the thoracic cancers center, which has radiation oncologists, medical oncologists and surgeons.
For more information on Massachusetts General, please contact our registered nurse. Karen Ritter’s email is email@example.com. She will help you reach out to the Mass General staff.
Sources & Author
- Massachusetts General Hospital. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ma/massachusetts-general-hospital-6140430. Accessed: 02/06/2022.
- Center for Thoracic Cancers. Massachusetts General Hospital. Retrieved from: https://www.massgeneral.org/cancer-center/treatments-and-services/thoracic-cancers. Accessed: 02/09/2022.