MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030
MD Anderson Cancer Center, the affiliate medical institution of the University of Texas, features some of the leading specialists and researchers. Patients seek out appointments with MD Anderson due to the sterling reputation for care of cancer patients.
Pleural Mesothelioma and
MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Dr. Anne Tsao
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center
MD Anderson Cancer Center, located in Houston, Texas, is one of the top mesothelioma cancer centers.
Dr. Anne Tsao is the Director of the hospital’s Mesothelioma Program. Dr. Boris Sepesi is one of the lead surgeons involved in pleural mesothelioma cases. Dr. Kanwal Raghay is the medical oncologist for peritoneal mesothelioma cases.
MD Anderson has the honor of being a National Cancer Institute-designated center. It is one of four in the state of Texas with this label.
MD Anderson Cancer Center features a Thoracic Center, which houses treatment for pleural mesothelioma. MD Anderson also sees peritoneal mesothelioma cases.
There are four locations seeing people with mesothelioma:
- MD Anderson League City
- MD Anderson Sugar Land
- MD Anderson Woodlands
- MD Anderson West Houston
- Dr. Anne Tsao, Director of Mesothelioma Program
- Dr. Boris Sepesi, Associate Professor in Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Dr. Kanwal Raghay, gastrointestinal medical oncologist
- University of Texas
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
- Pleurectomy/decortication surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted therapy, such as virotherapy
Get Connected to MD Anderson Cancer Center
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a home to more than a dozen clinical studies involving mesothelioma. Dr. Anne Tsao is the Director of Mesothelioma at the hospital and leads a team of specialists offering surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and more.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Ranked first in cancer treatment among all hospitals
- Offering a variety of therapy options for patients
- Highly skilled staff includes surgeons and oncologists
What Mesothelioma Care Is Like at MD Anderson
MD Anderson Cancer Center is ranked first for general cancer treatment. This is a testament to the quality of care patients experience and comfort they feel throughout the process.
Cancer care is not limited just to the medicines provided or surgeries performed. MD Anderson excels at easing the anxieties of cancer patients and their families. There are various housing programs used by the cancer center to help out-of-town traveling families regain a sense of normalcy through the challenging period.
MD Anderson also offers mental health services to improve patient quality of life before, during and after mesothelioma treatment.
- Ranked 7th in the U.S. News & World Report 2021-2022 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 1st in general cancer treatment
- Ranked 37th in gastrointestinal cancer surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
- Labeled “high performing” in lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
Host Site for Mesothelioma Clinical Trials
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a regular host site for mesothelioma clinical trials. One of the most prominent trials was the DREAM3R study featuring the immunotherapy drug durvalumab. The trial uses the immune checkpoint inhibitor with chemotherapy.
The trial is one of the recruiting studies at MD Anderson. There are a total of 16 clinical trials featuring malignant mesothelioma. One of them uses pleurectomy/decortication surgery after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy.
How to Begin Treatment at MD Anderson
MD Anderson Cancer Center is located in a major metropolitan city, which grants access to patients traveling by plane from hours away. The hospital welcomes patients from other states – or patients in far-away parts of Texas.
Connecting with MD Anderson is much easier with the help of a patient advocate. Nurse Karen Ritter is the best and most compassionate patient guide for mesothelioma patients. Her number one goal is to help connect people with the medical resources they need to improve their prognosis.
Sources & Author
- Mesothelioma. MD Anderson Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mdanderson.org/cancer-types/mesothelioma.html. Accessed: 02/22/2022.
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/tx/university-of-texas-md-anderson-cancer-center-6741945. Accessed: 02/22/2022.
- Mesothelioma Treatment. MD Anderson Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mdanderson.org/cancer-types/mesothelioma/mesothelioma-treatment.html. Accessed: 02/22/2022.
- Find a Cancer Center. National Cancer Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/cancer-centers/find. Accessed: 03/03/2022.
- Atezolizumab and bevacizumab show meaningful responses for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma patients. MD Anderson Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/atezolizumab-and-bevacizumab-show-meaningful-responses-for-malignant-peritoneal-mesothelioma-patients.h00-159462423.html. Accessed: 02/22/2022.
- DuRvalumab With chEmotherapy as First Line treAtment in Advanced Pleural Mesothelioma (DREAM3R). Clinicaltrials.gov. Retrieved from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04334759. Accessed: 03/02/2022.