NYU Langone Health
550 1st. Avenue, New York, New York 10016
New York University Langone Health, often shortened to NYU Langone, features a mesothelioma expert along with many other patient-first oncologists and surgeons. The hospital is located in New York City and offers the Perlmutter Cancer Center.
Pleural Mesothelioma and
NYU Langone Health
550 1st. Avenue
New York, New York
Dr. Harvey Pass
Dr. Amie Kent
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at NYU Langone Health
The NYU Langone website lists 34 medical professionals as capable of treating mesothelioma. These doctors’ titles include:
- Thoracic surgeon
- Medical oncologist
- Radiation oncologist
- Pulmonary medicine specialist
Dr. Harvey Pass is First Director of Thoracic Surgery at the hospital. He directs mesothelioma care and performs surgeries for malignant pleural mesothelioma, which is a thoracic cancer. It forms in the thin lining of the lungs. Dr. Pass is co-author of the “100 Questions & Answers About Mesothelioma” book, a valuable resource for patients, families and even medical professionals.
- Dr. Harvey Pass, First Director of Thoracic Surgery
- Dr. Amie Kent, thoracic surgeon
- Dr. Robert Certfolio, thoracic surgeon
- Dr. Daniel Sterman, pulmonary medicine specialist
- New York University Grossman School of Medicine
- Perlmutter Cancer Center
- Pleurectomy/decortication surgery
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery
- HIPEC cytoreductive surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Fluid drainage palliative surgery
Get Connected to NYU Langone Health
NYU Langone has nearly three dozen medical professionals with experience in the mesothelioma care process. Cancer centers with a large team of mesothelioma doctors usually provide the greatest benefit to patients, whether it’s for hopes of eradicating all tumors or improving comfort through palliative care.
Why Choose NYU Langone?
- Affiliated with a top medical school and multidisciplinary cancer center
- Multiple surgeons on staff with mesothelioma experience
- Protocol in place for mesothelioma to help patients know what to expect
Surgery Protocol at NYU Langone Health
One of the surgeries offered at NYU Langone is pleurectomy/decortication for pleural mesothelioma. This surgery is specifically for pleural mesothelioma, which forms in the lining of the lungs. Pleurectomy/decortication removes the lining, along with part or all of the diaphragm and lining of the heart.
The last aggressive surgery is cytoreduction with HIPEC. This is for peritoneal mesothelioma, which is a cancer of the lining in the abdominal cavity. This surgery can take up to 12 hours and involves heated chemotherapy delivered into the abdomen after all visible tumors are removed.
Each surgery requires rehabilitation in the hospital. NYU Langone offers patients the Rusk Rehabilitation center and program for full support during rehab, including a qualified staff to help with breathing and movement exercises.
If chemotherapy is recommended through an IV, it is given in what’s called cycles. These are 21-day increments between chemotherapy treatment. NYU Langone medical oncologists usually recommend 2-4 cycles for mesothelioma.
- Ranked 3rd in the U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 1st in New York
- Ranked 19th for general cancer treatment
- Ranked 5th in gastrointestinal cancer surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
- Ranked 4th in lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
Involvement in Mesothelioma Research
NYU Langone’s research efforts focus around mesothelioma biopsy practices. Diagnosing mesothelioma requires multiple tests, which usually happen after monitoring early symptoms.
The hospital’s Thoracic Oncology Research Program is a National Cancer Institute-designated Biomarker Discovery Laboratory. Biomarkers are the central focus of diagnosing and staging cancers like mesothelioma.
Doctors at NYU Langone are examining proteins in the blood to identify mesothelioma earlier among those exposed to asbestos. Most people aren’t diagnosed for at least 20 years after exposure. If this time can be shortened, it improves the chances of early treatment and prolonged survival.
How to Begin Treatment at NYU Langone
New York University Langone Health has a premier cancer center and staff to welcome mesothelioma patients and families. Before contacting the hospital’s main line, reach out to a patient advocate. They’ll help you with scheduling a consultation and offer guidance for treatment options.
Our lead patient advocate, Karen Ritter, is available to help you or a loved one. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for direct communication, or ask for our cancer center recommendations by filling out a form.
Sources & Author
- Surgery for Malignant Mesothelioma. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/malignant-mesothelioma/treatments/surgery-for-malignant-mesothelioma. Accessed: 02/04/2022.
- NYU Langone Hospitals. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ny/nyu-langone-medical-center-6212925. Accessed: 02/04/2022.
- Doctors Who Treat Malignant Mesothelioma. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/malignant-mesothelioma/doctors. Accessed: 02/08/2022.
- Support for Malignant Mesothelioma. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/malignant-mesothelioma/support. Accessed: 02/08/2022.
- Diagnosing Malignant Mesothelioma. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/malignant-mesothelioma/diagnosis. Accessed: 02/08/2022.
- Chemotherapy for Malignant Mesothelioma. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/conditions/malignant-mesothelioma/treatments/chemotherapy-for-malignant-mesothelioma. Accessed: 02/08/2022.