FAQ – Veterans with Mesothelioma

Veterans are the largest group of victims of asbestos exposure and mesothelioma. Learn the most frequently asked questions about veterans with mesothelioma.


Q: Why do veterans make up such a considerable amount of victims?

The most exposed group of people in America to asbestos are the veterans of the United States military. Over the course of just 50 years, nearly 5 million veterans had prolonged exposure to asbestos during shipbuilding. Because of this, over 30% of all mesothelioma patients are US veterans.

Q: Which branches of the military are most at risk for exposure?

While every branch of the armed services used asbestos products in a variety of ways (occupationally, barracks, vehicles, etc.), the United States Navy (and Marines) are the most at risk. One of the largest uses of asbestos was in the construction of ships. Anyone who worked on or around these ships, especially during their construction, is at risk for developing mesothelioma.

Q: How does a veteran file a claim with the VA?

We can help veterans file their claims with Veteran Affairs (VA). Veterans file a report stating that they have mesothelioma from asbestos exposure, and it is then reviewed along with any supporting medical information. Once it has been verified, the VA can offer benefits that will help a patient pay for care and take care of their loved ones.

Q: What is the process for a VA claim?

Once a VA claim is filed, the VA will review the claim and supporting medical documentation. Then the veteran will undergo a health assessment at a local VA health center. The complete record will then be reviewed by the VA and a decision will be made. We can make this process easier with our VA Claims Support.

Q: What is a Veteran Service Officer (VSO)?

A Veteran Service Officer (VSO) is someone whose entire job is to help veterans with healthcare and compensation benefits. The VSO is very helpful in taking pressure off of patients and is free of charge. Taking advantage of this option means veterans will have a fellow service member who understands their situation and is able to act on their behalf to help them.

Q: Where can a VSO be located?

Patients can find a Veteran Service Officer (VSO) in a number of ways, including reaching out to their local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars), Disabled American Veterans, or American Legion.

National Veterans Service Veterans of Foreign Wars
(816) 756-3390

Disabled American Veterans
(877) 426-2838
(859) 441-7300

American Legion
(317) 630-1200

Q: Does a VSO cost money?

A Veteran Service Officer (VSO) is a service provided without any cost to the veterans they help and support.

Q: What information/evidence does a veteran have to produce for a claim?

Veterans should be prepared to bring or transfer any findings from their oncologist or general practitioner that may prove the diagnosis of mesothelioma. All health records are confidential, so patients may have to sign a waiver that will allow the VA to review their records.