Dr. Prasad Adusumilli
Co-Director of Mesothelioma Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Dr. Prasad Adusumilli is Co-Director of one of the top mesothelioma cancer centers in the world. He is experienced with pleurectomy/decortication surgery and also investigates other therapies through clinical trials.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Prasad Adusumilli
Dr. Adusumilli sees patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He holds many professional titles at the hospital, one of which is Co-Director of the Mesothelioma Program. He teams with Dr. Marjorie Zauderer, who is the other Co-Director.
His other professional titles with Memorial Sloan Kettering are:
- Deputy Chief of Thoracic Services
- Vice Chair for Translational Research of the Department of Surgery
- Head of Solid Tumors Cell Therapy in the Cellular Therapeutics Center
His clinical focuses include pleural mesothelioma, lung cancer, metastasis to the lung and tumors in the chest wall. His surgical expertise includes pleurectomy/decortication, video-assisted thoracic surgery and diagnostic laparoscopy.
- Medical Degree from Guntur Medical College in India
- Residency in Surgery at Southampton University Hospitals in the United Kingdom
- Residency in General Surgery at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York
- Residency in General Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City
- Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Maimonides Medical Center
- Fellowship in Thoracic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Board-certified in General Surgery
- Board-certified in Thoracic Surgery
Get Connected to Dr. Prasad Adusumilli
Dr. Adusumilli is one of the top surgeons and specialists for pleural mesothelioma. He is Co-Director of the mesothelioma program at one of the best cancer centers in the world, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
Why Choose Dr. Adusumilli?
- 15 years of experience in thoracic oncology and surgery
- Authored research articles on novel treatments
- Performs aggressive P/D surgery and diagnostic procedures
Excellent Relationship With Patients
Dr. Adusumilli prides himself on soothing anxieties of patients when first meeting them. He says patients and family members are often “overwhelmed by finding a treatment” that will send cancer into remission and keep it from coming back.
There’s a follow-up meeting to answer questions before “finalizing” the treatment plan. This is done to reassure patients they’re considering every option and that quality of life is a priority
Activity in Clinical Trials for Mesothelioma
Dr. Adusumilli also has a laboratory with an eye on tumor microenvironment studies. He searches for biomarkers able to detect cancer quickly. He also investigates gene therapies, immunotherapies and virotherapies as potential alternatives to mesothelioma chemotherapy.
He co-authored a study report on CAR T-cell therapy for mesothelioma. This type of immunotherapy-gene therapy combination is approved by the FDA for blood cancers. It’s still in testing for solid tumors. CAR T cells are genetically modified T cells extracted from the patient’s body and reprogrammed to find specific cancer proteins.
He’s also leading another trial, with Dr. Zauderer, for mesothelioma. It gives patients the immunotherapy drug nivolumab (Opdivo) plus chemotherapy after surgery. Many cancer centers use chemotherapy and radiation after surgery. This is one of the first testing immunotherapy after surgery.
How to See Dr. Adusumilli for Your Mesothelioma Case
You can get in contact with Dr. Adusumilli, who is seeing new patients and cases of malignant mesothelioma. We urge you to use a patient advocate, who sometimes has direct access to the surgeons, medical oncologists and program navigators at the top cancer centers.
Our patient advocate, registered nurse Karen Ritter, can help you schedule an initial appointment with Dr. Adusumilli, or another doctor near where you live. Email Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org to begin determining or adjusting your treatment goals.
Sources & Author
- Prasad S. Adusumilli, MD, FACS. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/doctors/prasad-adusumilli. Accessed: 11/26/2021.
- The Prasad Adusumilli Lab. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mskcc.org/research-areas/labs/prasad-adusumilli. Accessed: 11/26/2021.
- A Study of Nivolumab Immunotherapy and Chemotherapy followed by Surgery for Pleural Mesothelioma. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Retrieved from: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/clinical-trials/19-272. Accessed: 11/26/2021.
- A phase I trial of regional mesothelin-targeted CAR T-cell therapy in patients with malignant pleural disease, in combination with the anti-PD-1 agent pembrolizumab. Cancer Discovery. Retrieved from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34266984/. Accessed: 07/19/2021.