JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Ryan Holbrook
Dr. Holbrook, who retired from practice in 2023, as reported by The Spokesman-Review, was a specialist in surgical oncology. He focused on liver and pancreatic cancer but saw cases of peritoneal surface malignancies, which included abdominal cancers like peritoneal mesothelioma. This rare cancer forms in the thin tissue layer wrapping around the inside of the abdominal cavity.
Dr. Holbrook pioneered heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the Pacific Northwest. Without his expertise, not many patients in this region would have had access to high-quality medical care for peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Medical Degree from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago
- Residency in General Surgery at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine
- Fellowship in Surgical Oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York
- Fellowship in Pancreas, Liver and Biliary Surgery at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, Washington
- Internship in General Surgery at New England Medical Center in Boston
- Certified in Surgery by the American Board of Surgery
- Certified in training of surgical oncology
- Memberships in the Society of Surgical Oncology and American College of Surgeons
- Named to Top Doctors list for specialty surgery in 2021
Award-Winning Surgical Oncologist
Dr. Holbrook was an award-winning and recognized surgical oncologist. He was honored on the Top Doctors list for surgery in 2021 and named to the Best Doctors in America list from 2015-2020. These are prestigious honors exemplifying Dr. Holbrook’s knowledge of abdominal cancers and compassion toward patients and families.
He completed three fellowships after a Medical Degree at Northwest University Medical School. He began his medical career with a residency at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine.
Dr. Holbrook performed more than 700 HIPEC procedures, some for peritoneal mesothelioma.
In 2023, he retired from practice.
“Any time that I could make a patient’s life better, and they could have long-term survival, that’s why I did this,” Dr. Holbrook said to The Spokesman-Review newspaper in Spokane, Washington. “That was the best.”
How to See Mesothelioma Specialists Like Dr. Holbrook
Our lead advocate, Karen Ritter, is a registered nurse. This medical background is another asset for patients with peritoneal mesothelioma. She can help you find a doctor with the same level of mesothelioma knowledge and expertise as Dr. Holbrook.
Sources & Author
- Ryan F. Holbrook, MD, FACS. Cancer Care Northwest. Retrieved from: https://www.cancercarenorthwest.com/find-a-doctor/ryan-f-holbrook. Accessed: 12/31/2021.
- Dr. Ryan Holbrook, surgical oncologist and pioneer in innovative cancer operations, retires. Spokesman-Review. Retrieved from: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/apr/27/dr-ryan-holbrook-surgical-oncologist-and-pioneer-i/. Accessed: 05/19/2023.