Dr. Kamran Idrees
Surgical Oncologist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Dr. Kamran Idrees is a surgical oncologist at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, a part of Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He has a clinical focus in peritoneal malignancies, including peritoneal mesothelioma. His specialities include use of HIPEC with surgery.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Kamran Idrees
Dr. Idrees joined Vanderbilt University Medical Center in 2012. He is a surgical oncologist with a focus on abdominal malignancies. One of his trademark specialties is experience with HIPEC and cytoreductive surgery.
This led to him starting the HIPEC program at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center.
Dr. Idrees served as director of the peritoneal malignancies and HIPEC program until Dr. Deepa Magge joined in 2020. She now leads the program.
Similar to Dr. Magge, Dr. Idrees is a fellowship graduate of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. This is one of the best HIPEC programs in the world, with an impressive volume of peritoneal mesothelioma cases.
Dr. Idrees has held many titles at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. They include:
- Chief in the Division of Surgical Oncology and Endocrine Surgery
- Director of Pancreatic and Gastrointestinal Surgical Oncology
- Assistant professor of surgery
- Associate professor of cancer research
- Medical Degree from the Aga Khan University Medical College located in Karachi, Pakistan, 1999
- Research fellowship in surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 2006
- Residency in general surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2008
- Fellowship in surgical oncology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2011
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Recipient of a National Institutes of Health Clinical and Translational Science Award
- Only surgeon in Tennessee who is a member of the American Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancy
Get Connected to Dr. Kamran Idrees
Dr. Idrees is a highly regarded peritoneal mesothelioma specialist with Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center. He led the HIPEC and peritoneal malignancies program for eight years and remains a valued member of the team.
Why Choose Dr. Idrees?
- Experience performing HIPEC surgery for patients
- Patient selection process to improve survival after surgery
- Advocate for immunotherapy and other options
Inspiration for HIPEC Program at Vanderbilt
When Dr. Idrees did his residency in general surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the hospital didn’t have a HIPEC program. This is despite the incidence of mesothelioma being high in Alabama.
He brought HIPEC to the Tennessee medical center in 2012. Since peritoneal mesothelioma is so rare, doctors often rely on Dr. Idrees for help.
“I think there are referring physicians who would call us to get our opinions on how to manage the patients,” he said.
Dr. Idrees said a mesothelioma diagnosis isn’t easy for anyone, including the family members and physicians. However, he’s up to the task.
Strategy for Patient Selection
Dr. Idrees is integral in patient selection for HIPEC surgery. He and Dr. Magge are in unison for how the program determines eligibility.
Cell type often determines candidacy. Epithelioid cells are easier to resect. Sarcomatoid cells are much tougher.
Immunotherapy is an option for patients, either with surgery or when resection isn’t feasible.
“We are looking at the cell composition of these patients,” he said, noting how much treatment has evolved.
If you’re interested in Dr. Idrees as your surgical oncologist, we can help set up a consultation. Contact our patient advocate team, which includes a registered nurse. They’ll help you schedule a meeting, with virtual options available.
Sources & Author
- Kamran Idrees, MD, MSCI, MMHC, FACS. Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Retrieved from: https://www.vumc.org/surgical-sciences/person/kamran-idrees-md-msci-mmhc-facs. Accessed: 09/13/2021.
- Kamran Idrees. Vanderbilt Health. Retrieved from: https://search.vanderbilthealth.com/doctors/idrees-kamran. Accessed: 09/13/2021.