JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Hedy Lee Kindler
Dr. Kindler’s role at University of Chicago Medicine is Mesothelioma Program Director. She oversees a team of surgeons, oncologists and other medical specialists.
She specializes in gastrointestinal malignancies, which includes peritoneal mesothelioma. This cancer occurs in the lining of the abdominal cavity. She also treats pleural mesothelioma, which forms in the lining around the lungs.
Dr. Kindler works closely with peritoneal mesothelioma doctor Kiran Turaga. She and the others at University of Chicago Medicine see nearly 100 cases per year.
Dr. Kindler’s other titles are:
- Professor of Medicine at University of Chicago
- Medical Director of Gastrointestinal Oncology
- Medical Degree from State University of New York College of Medicine
- Internship at the University of California Los Angeles Health
- Residency at the University of California Los Angeles Health
- Fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology
- Memberships in the American Association for Cancer Research, American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer and International Mesothelioma Interest Group
- Associate editor of the medical journal “Lung Cancer”
- Previously listed in Best Doctors in America, America’s Top Doctors for Cancer, and Top Doctors in Chicago
Get Connected to Dr. Hedy Lee Kindler
Dr. Hedy Lee Kindler is the leader of mesothelioma treatment at University of Chicago Medicine, which has a highly respected comprehensive cancer center. Dr. Kindler is one of the rare specialists who sees both types of mesothelioma.
Why Choose Dr. Kindler?
- Experience with pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma
- Active in clinical trials for new mesothelioma treatment options
- Practicing oncology since 1995
Leader of Mesothelioma Clinical Trials
Dr. Kindler has led multiple clinical trials for mesothelioma, some specifically for people with this rare cancer. Her bio page on University of Chicago Medicine lists seven trials focused on mesothelioma. She is also part of other studies involving mesothelin-expressing cancers, a group which includes mesothelioma.
Many of the trials are multi-center studies featured throughout the country. Dr. Kindler’s involvement gives patients of University of Chicago Medicine access to life-saving approaches.
The studies feature many novel therapies, such as:
- Pembrolizumab (Keytruda)
- Radiation therapy during surgery
- Anetumab ravtansine
Part of Dr. Kindler’s research includes trying chemotherapy alternatives – like gemcitabine – for malignant mesothelioma.
How to Connect With Dr. Kindler
Dr. Kindler has a personal affinity to finding a cure and helping patients. Her father passed away from mesothelioma in 2001.
Dr. Kindler sees patients at Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine, which is located in the Hyde Park region of Chicago. We can help you connect with Dr. Kindler or the patient assistants at University of Chicago Medicine. Email registered nurse Karen Ritter at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out a free Doctor Match application on our website.
Sources & Author
- Hedy Lee Kindler, MD. UChicago Medicine. Retrieved from: https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/find-a-physician/physician/hedy-lee-kindler. Accessed: 02/03/2022.