Dr. Harvey Pass
First Director of Thoracic Surgery at New York University Langone Health
Dr. Harvey Pass is a top cardiothoracic surgeon at one of the best cancer centers in the United States. He’s also researching how to diagnose mesothelioma in early stages.
NYU Langone Health
550 First Ave., New York, NY 10016
More About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Harvey Pass
Dr. Pass is a cardiothoracic surgeon at NYU Langone Health’s Perlmutter Cancer Center. He leads mesothelioma treatment and research at the institution. He’s one of the top specialists for pleural mesothelioma and other thoracic cancers.
Dr. Pass is one of the leaders in treating thoracic malignancies. He previously was the Second Division Chief of Thoracic Oncology at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. He ran a laboratory, crafted clinical trials and was trained by Dr. Steven Rosenberg, a leader in immunotherapy cancer treatment.
He’s a co‑author of the “100 Questions & Answers About Mesothelioma” book and is currently producing the third volume. His surgical expertise and research efforts led to him receiving awards from the International Mesothelioma Interest Group and the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.
In addition to his role as First Director of Thoracic Surgery and a cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Pass is also:
- Professor of thoracic oncology and professor of surgery at NYU School of Medicine
- Vice Chair of Research at NYU Langone Health’s Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Medical Degree from Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, N.C., 1973
- Residency in Surgery at University of Mississippi Medical Center, 1980
- Residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Medical University of South Carolina, 1982
- Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, 1986
- Certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Membership in the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery Network, General Thoracic Surgical Club and Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Received the Wagner Medal from the International Mesothelioma Interest Group
- Received the Pioneer Award from the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
Get Connected to Dr. Harvey Pass
Dr. Pass is one of the leading thoracic surgeons and specialists in the northeast. He heads the mesothelioma program at NYU Langone Health. He’s also researching ways to detect mesothelioma early and add years of survival through personalized treatment.
Why Choose Dr. Pass?
- Experienced surgeon for pleural mesothelioma
- Authored hundreds of peer‑reviewed medical articles
- Conducting research into blood and tissue biomarkers
Research Into Mesothelioma Biomarkers
Dr. Pass started researching mesothelioma in the 1980s. He published his first medical article on this cancer at the end of the decade and began publishing articles regularly in the 1990s. He continues researching and writing articles on his findings.
His lab research is focused on finding biomarkers for mesothelioma. This can help with early detection and personalizing therapy. This work is supported by the National Cancer Institute Early Detection Research Network.
He looks for biomarkers in blood and tissue samples. This effort can help pathologists diagnose mesothelioma much easier and quicker. Osteopontin and fibulin 3 are the biomarkers of note for his current research.
Sources & Author
- Harvey I. Pass, MD. NYU Langone Health. Retrieved from: https://nyulangone.org/doctors/1104826460/harvey-i-pass. Accessed: 09/23/2021.