Dr. Richard Alexander is one of the top peritoneal mesothelioma experts in the world, and he’s already achieved enough in his career to be remembered for a long time.
He’s already the chief surgical officer at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey. He’s already a surgery professor with Rutgers Medical School. And he’s already built a long list of accomplishments from a career spanning nearly half a century.
Dr. Alexander can add a new title to his career tally.
He was named the regional director of surgery for Monmouth Medical Center, which is the parent organization of Rutgers Cancer Institute and other Rutgers-affiliated medical locations.
Dr. Alexander will plan and coordinate surgical services at Monmouth Medical Center and other Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health facilities. As part of his new position, he will align the oncology programs at Monmouth Medical Center and Rutgers Cancer Institute. By doing so, Dr. Alexander will help patients at either facility receive access to additional therapies and treatment options. His research includes uncovering information about cytoreductive surgery with heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
Dr. David Sharon, the chief of medical oncology at Monmouth Medical Center, said Dr. Alexander will “assure our patients have access” to complex surgical techniques and other advanced treatment options.
Dr. Alexander’s training and experience includes a medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine and surgical residency at Walter Reed Military Medical Center. He also was a research fellow at the prestigious Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
His other career accomplishments include:
- 16 years of experience researching at the National Cancer Institute
- Being awarded the National Institutes of Health Individual Merit Award
- Chairman of the Meso Foundation Science Advisory Board
- 14 years of service as a staff surgeon for the United States Navy
If You Liked What You Read
Show Sources & Author
- Monmouth Medical Center Congratulates H. Richard Alexander, Jr, MD, FACS Named to Regional Role as Director of Surgery. RWJBarnabas Health. Retrieved from: https://www.rwjbh.org/blog/2019/june/monmouth-medical-center-congratulates-h-richard-/. Accessed: 06/12/19.