Jupiter Medical Center
1210 S. Old Dixie Highway, Jupiter, Florida 33458
Jupiter Medical Center has one of the highest-volume HIPEC treatment programs in the state of Florida. The cancer center’s staff includes peritoneal mesothelioma specialist and surgeon Dr. Shanel Bhagwandin.
Peritoneal Mesothelioma and
Jupiter Medical Center
1210 S. Old Dixie Highway
Dr. Shanel Bhagwandin
Dr. K. Adam Lee
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at Jupiter Medical Center
Jupiter Medical Center is known for its peritoneal surface malignancies program. This unit treats patients with peritoneal cancers, such as mesothelioma. A cornerstone of the program is HIPEC with cytoreductive surgery.
Cytoreductive surgery involves removing any visible tumors, plus the omentum, any at-risk organs and possibly the peritoneal lining. It’s a lengthy procedure and requires a talented surgeon to complete successfully.
Following surgery, patients receive HIPEC. This is the acronym for “hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy.” The liquid chemotherapy is delivered through ports in the abdomen for direct access to the remaining undetected tumors.
“HIPEC isn’t something that’s available everywhere,” Dr. Shanel Bhagwandin said, noting the importance of a cancer center with this option.
- Dr. Shanel Bhagwandin, medical director for the gastrointestinal surgery oncology program
- Dr. K. Adam Lee, medical director of the Thoracic Surgery and Lung Center
- Peritoneal mesothelioma and pleural mesothelioma
- Cytoreductive or debulking surgery
- Heated intraoperative chemotherapy
Get Connected to Jupiter Medical Center
Jupiter Medical Center is one of a few cancer centers able to treat malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. The staff has experience with cytoreduction, an extensive and complex surgery, plus HIPEC.
Why Choose Jupiter Medical?
- Openness to using immunotherapy for patients
- Talented surgeon for peritoneal mesothelioma
- Hosts highly regarded conferences for cancer experts
Team of Experts for Patients
Aside from the primary surgeons, patients have a full team of medical professionals helping them. The treatment team includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, program navigators and nurses.
The staff at Jupiter Medical Center sees around a dozen cases of peritoneal mesothelioma each year. This is one of the highest volumes in not only Florida but the entire southeast region of the United States.
The cancer center also has a Thoracic Surgery and Lung Center, which provides treatment for pleural mesothelioma. Dr. K. Adam Lee is the medical director of the Thoracic Surgery and Lung Center. He is the primary surgeon for pleural mesothelioma cases. The main surgeries for pleural mesothelioma are pleurectomy with decortication and extrapleural pneumonectomy.
If patients cannot have surgery, then their options include systemic chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
- Not listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Hospitals Honor Roll
Importance of a Mesothelioma Cancer Center of Excellence
We at Mesothelioma Guide encourage patients to visit cancer centers with mesothelioma specialists. Choosing an experienced doctor is vital to extending life and possibly defeating this diagnosis. The cancer is quite complex and can quickly spread to other organs.
If you’d like to visit Jupiter Medical Center for a consultation or treatment, contact our staff. We can put you in touch with this cancer center or another one fitting your needs. Contact a patient advocate today for further assistance.
Sources & Author
- Meet Our Oncology Physicians. Jupiter Medical Center. Retrieved from: https://www.jupitermed.com/services/cancer-care/meet-the-physicians/. Accessed: 11/21/22.
- Jupiter Medical Center. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl/jupiter-medical-center-6393411#rankings. Accessed: 09/13/2021.