Dr. Taylor Ripley
Director of Mesothelioma Treatment Center at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
Dr. Taylor Ripley leads mesothelioma treatment at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. He sees people with pleural mesothelioma at the Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
1101 Bates Avenue, Houston, TX 77030
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Taylor Ripley
Dr. Ripley’s interest in mesothelioma treatment dates back more than a decade. He became interested in treating this cancer during a thoracic oncology fellowship at the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Ripley is Co‑Director of the Thoracic Oncology Working Group at the Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center. His interest in thoracic oncology led him to malignant mesothelioma as a specialty.
Dr. Ripley is an important part of the Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center surgery team. He’s also:
- Associate professor at Baylor College of Medicine
- Co‑editor of a publication titled “Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery”
- Part of the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center Department of Surgery
- Medical Degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee
- Residency in General Surgery at the University of Colorado Denver
- Fellowship in Thoracic Oncology at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland
- Fellowship in Thoracic Oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery and American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Recipient of the 2016 National Cancer Institute Director’s Innovation Award and 2020 National Cancer Institute Director’s Innovation Award
- Membership in the American Association of Thoracic Surgery, Association of Academic Surgeons, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer and AATS Foundation
- Board of Directors member for the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
- Editorial board member for the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Get Connected to Dr. Taylor Ripley
Dr. Ripley performs aggressive and diagnostic surgery for malignant mesothelioma. He’s the Director of the Mesothelioma Treatment Center at one of the top hospitals in the world. Dr. Ripley trained extensively in thoracic oncology at various leading cancer centers before joining Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center in Houston, Texas.
Why Choose Dr. Ripley?
- Director of a prestigious cancer center’s mesothelioma program
- Trained at the National Cancer Institute and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Professor in thoracic oncology at Baylor College of Medicine
Medical Career Started at Top Cancer Centers
Dr. Ripley performs both pleurectomy/decortication surgery and extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery for mesothelioma. These two surgeries are the best options for removing most or all tumors. The survival lengths average 2‑3 years for both.
Pleurectomy/decortication preserves the lungs while extrapleural pneumonectomy removes the patient’s affected lung. Finding a surgeon who can perform both types of surgery is valuable to patients. This provides more options and improves their chances of receiving the most appropriate treatment.
Dr. Ripley also specializes in robotic surgery for minimally invasive operations. This is primarily for lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies, not malignant mesothelioma.
He has lectured on his research and work in thoracic oncology. He was trained in mesothelioma treatment at the National Cancer Institute and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He had fellowships in thoracic oncology at both institutions.
Our patient advocate, Karen Ritter, at email@example.com can help you find a mesothelioma doctor. Another option is sending us your diagnosis information via our free free Doctor Match program. This allows you to learn about other surgeons.
Sources & Author
- Robert Ripley, MD. St. Luke’s Health. Retrieved from: https://www.stlukeshealth.org/find-a-doctor/1154477784-robert-ripley. Accessed: 10/19/2021.
- Robert Taylor Ripley, M.D. Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved from: https://www.bcm.edu/people-search/robert-ripley-29324. Accessed: 10/19/2021.
- Mesothelioma. Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved from: https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/specialties/oncology/cancer-types/lung-cancer/mesothelioma. Accessed: 10/19/2021.