Dr. Lorraine Cornwell
Section Head of General Thoracic Surgery at Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
Dr. Lorraine Cornwell is one of the top thoracic surgeons in the country. Her clinical interest includes pleural mesothelioma. She sees veterans through the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Boulevard 5B‑170E, Houston, TX 77030
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Lorraine Cornwell
Dr. Cornwell is Section Head of General Thoracic Surgery at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center. This hospital is also called the Houston VA Medical Center. It’s one of the few VA hospitals able to treat veterans with mesothelioma.
The VA hospital is affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center and the Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dr. Cornwell is part of the Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center mesothelioma team.
Dr. Cornwell is also an assistant professor of surgery for Baylor College of Medicine’s Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Medical Degree from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, 1996
- Residency in General Surgery at the University of North Carolina Health in Chapel Hill, 2001
- Residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill‑Cornell Medical College and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 2003
- Certified in Thoracic Surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Certified in General Surgery by the American Board of Surgery
- Membership in the American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Association of Veterans Affairs Surgeons, American Women’s Medical Association, Women in Thoracic Surgery and American Association for Thoracic Surgery
Get Connected to Dr. Lorraine Cornwell
Dr. Cornwell is the leading surgeon for thoracic cancers at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, located in Houston, Texas. She also works at Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, one of the top mesothelioma hospitals.
Why Choose Dr. Cornwell?
- Experience treating veterans with mesothelioma
- Performs radical surgery for mesothelioma
- Leads thoracic surgery at Houston’s VA medical center
Focus on Veterans With Mesothelioma
A large number of veterans develop malignant mesothelioma after serving in the military. Asbestos exposure is rampant among veterans, which is why the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is important. There are only two other VA hospitals with mesothelioma teams and specialists.
The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is the only one based in the South. It opened its mesothelioma treatment program in 2019 with help from Baylor St. Luke’s for staff and resources.
Surgery Options for Resection and Diagnosis
Dr. Cornwell performs aggressive surgery for pleural mesothelioma. The two options are pleurectomy/decortication and extrapleural pneumonectomy.
Pleurectomy/decortication surgery avoids taking out one of the lungs, which many doctors believe helps quality of life and recovery. Extrapleural pneumonectomy removes a lung, a decision mostly reserved for more advanced cases of mesothelioma.
She also uses video‑assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) for diagnosing this disease. Her research focuses on improving outcomes for VATS and cardiothoracic surgery.
Dr. Cornwell has received multiple awards:
- 2020 Top Doctor in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Houstonia Magazine
- STAR Faculty Award for Excellence in Patient Care, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2021 Women of Excellence, Baylor College of Medicine
You can see Dr. Cornwell for a surgical consultation or second opinion on treatment. She’s also a resource for veterans with mesothelioma who are looking for a VA center treating this cancer. Email our patient advocate team, either nurse Karen Ritter or Navy veteran Carl Jewett, for help. Their emails are email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sources & Author