JUMP TO A TOPIC
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Adam Bograd
During this fellowship, he became interested in treatment for the rare cancer. His second fellowship, in thoracic surgery, led him to train in procedures for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
Swedish Cancer Institute is one of a scarce few mesothelioma centers in the Pacific Northwest. It’s part of Swedish Health Services, which has multiple medical center locations around the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Medical Degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, 2008
- Residency in General Surgery at New York University, 2015
- Fellowship in Thoracic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, 2017
- Certified in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery
Get Connected to Dr. Adam Bograd
Dr. Bograd works for the highly regarded Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle, Washington. He’s about to be the head of mesothelioma treatment at the center, working with another specialist, Dr. Eric Vallieres.
Why Choose Dr. Bograd?
- Trained at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Performs extended pleurectomy/decortication surgery
- Research interest in new treatments, such as T-cell therapy
Lung-Sparing Surgery the Preference
Dr. Bograd and the thoracic cancer team see 10-15 mesothelioma cases a year. Around five are operable, which puts the Swedish Cancer Institute and Dr. Bograd near the top of West Coast cancer centers for volume of pleural mesothelioma cases. Most of the cases come from Washington, with a few from nearby states like Montana and Alaska.
Dr. Bograd, like many specialists, prefers to spare the lung for pleural mesothelioma surgery. This operation is called pleurectomy/decortication, or P/D.
The other surgery is extrapleural pneumonectomy, or EPP. This type of surgery removes the entire affected lung.
Positive Reviews From Patients
Dr. Bograd received 4.9 out of 5 stars for 56 patient reviews on his doctor page. It’s one of the highest ratings of any doctor on the Swedish Medical Center website.
Part of the reason his patients appreciate him is his approach to communication. He aptly balances the realities of mesothelioma with hope for long-term survival.
“It’s hard,” he said. “It’s probably the hardest thing to do. You don’t want to be too optimistic but you also want to provide some hope for them.
“I tell them, ‘This is what this therapy did for these patients.’ You just go over everything with them.”
How to See Dr. Bograd for Treatment
We can help you connect with Dr. Bograd and his Swedish Cancer Institute colleagues. Our free Doctor Match program is the quickest way to get a list of specialists in your area and elsewhere who can treat your diagnosis.
You can also email our registered nurse, Karen Ritter, at email@example.com. Her patient advocacy has helped many get the treatment they need.
Sources & Author
- Adam J. Bograd, M.D. Swedish Health Services. Retrieved from: https://www.swedish.org/doctors/thoracic-surgery/wa/seattle/adam-bograd-1245406909. Accessed: 08/02/2023.