JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at Washington Cancer Institute
Washington Cancer Institute is affiliated with the MedStar Washington Hospital Center and University of Georgetown Comprehensive Cancer Center. There are a handful of medical oncologists with interest in mesothelioma cancer, including Director of Thoracic Oncology Dr. Stephen Liu, who works at the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Dr. Puja Khaitan is Director of Esophageal Surgery. She performs surgeries for thoracic and lung cancers, which includes pleural mesothelioma. However, the top reason for Washington Cancer Institute’s reputation as a mesothelioma cancer hospital is due to its care for people with peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Dr. Joshua Reuss, thoracic medical oncologist
- Dr. Stephen Liu, Director of Thoracic Oncology at Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Dr. Puja Khaitan, Director of Esophageal Surgery
- Dr. Chul Kim, medical oncologist
- Dr. Ankit Madan, medical oncologist
- MedStar Health
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Systemic chemotherapy
- Cytoreduction surgery with HIPEC
- Pleural mesothelioma surgery
Get Connected to Washington Cancer Institute
Washington Cancer Institute is part of MedStar Health and features a full roster of medical oncologists and thoracic oncologists. The center is known for offering cytoreductive surgery to treat peritoneal mesothelioma.
Why Choose MedStar Washington?
- Doctors with mesothelioma as a clinical focus
- Offering HIPEC surgery to improve survival
HIPEC Surgery Offered for Peritoneal Mesothelioma
Doctors at MedStar Health offer HIPEC surgery for peritoneal mesothelioma. HIPEC surgery is cytoreduction, which is manual debulking or removal of visible tumors, plus heated chemotherapy.
- Not listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2023-2024 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 3rd in Washington, D.C.
- Listed as high performing for general cancer treatment
How to Visit Washington Cancer Institute
Washington Cancer Institute is welcoming patients with mesothelioma. Reach out to our patient advocate staff if you live in the Washington, D.C. area or a nearby northeast region state. You can also get cancer center recommendations. We’ll personalize a list for you based on your type of mesothelioma.
Sources & Author
- Find a Doctor for Mesothelioma. MedStar Health. Retrieved from: https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctors#doctorssearch_q=Mesothelioma&doctorssearch_distance%20by%20miles=25000. Accessed: 05/18/2023.
- Chul Kim, MD. MedStar Health. Retrieved from: https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctors/chul-kim-md-mph. Accessed: 03/09/2022.
- Puja G. Khaitan, MD. MedStar Health. Retrieved from: https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctors/puja-g-khaitan-md. Accessed: 03/09/2022.
- Stephen Liu, MD. MedStar Health. Retrieved from: https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctors/stephen-liu-md. Accessed: 03/09/2022.
- Joshua Reuss, MD. MedStar Health. Retrieved from: https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctors/joshua-eric-reuss-md. Accessed: 03/09/2022.
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/dc/medstar-georgetown-university-hospital-6330130. Accessed: 03/09/2022.
- Value of cytoreductive surgery combined with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy to treat malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. American Journal of Translational Research. Retrieved from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34650746/. Accessed: 10/18/2021.