Dr. Rodney Landreneau
Thoracic Surgeon at Penn Highlands Healthcare
Dr. Rodney Landreneau is an experienced thoracic surgeon. He has served as director of multiple cancer institutes and division chief of thoracic surgery. He treats pleural mesothelioma patients at Penn Highlands Healthcare.
Penn Highlands Healthcare
145 Hospital Avenue, Suite 301, DuBois, PA 15801
More Information About Mesothelioma Specialist Dr. Rodney Landreneau
Dr. Landreneau is a board‑certified thoracic surgeon. He joined the Penn Highlands Healthcare medical team in April 2020. He has decades of experience treating mesothelioma with minimally invasive surgeries, helping them to maintain their quality of life after surgery.
He previously worked as Division Chief of general thoracic surgery at Allegheny Health Network in Pittsburgh. He was also Co‑Director of the Esophageal and Lung Institute at the hospital network.
He also was Director of the Ochsner Health System Cancer Institute in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is originally from Louisiana. He was head of thoracic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center as well.
Most of his thoracic experience is at hospitals in Pennsylvania. Dubois is a couple hours northeast of Pittsburgh, the closest metropolitan city.
- Medical Degree from Louisiana State University in New Orleans, 1978
- Residency in General Surgery at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas
- Residency in Thoracic Surgery at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- Board‑certified in Thoracic Surgery
- Membership in the American Medical Association, American Thoracic Society, American College of Chest Physicians, American Cancer Society, Association of Academic Surgery, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American College of Surgeons, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Society of Minimally Invasive Therapy, Society of Surgical Oncology, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, American Association of Thoracic Surgery and American Surgical Association
Get Connected to Dr. Rodney Landreneau
Dr. Landreneau is one of the top specialists for pleural mesothelioma. He uses minimally invasive techniques for diagnosing cancers. He can perform both pleurectomy/decortication surgery and extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery.
Why Choose Dr. Landreneau?
- Worked at various top cancer centers
- Skilled surgeon for mesothelioma
- Member of many medical organizations
Use of Heated Intraoperative Chemotherapy
Dr. Landreneau believes in less‑invasive approaches to treatment. This is especially important for diagnosing mesothelioma. Using cameras allows for smaller incisions when performing thoracoscopy.
A way to enhance the possibilities of surgery is with intraoperative treatment. For pleural mesothelioma, this is either heated intrathoracic chemotherapy (HITHOC) or intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT).
One of the most promising developments in mesothelioma treatment has been the use of heated chemotherapy in combination with radical surgery. Heated chemotherapy has the ability to kill microscopic mesothelioma cells left behind from surgery. This puts less pressure on the surgeon to remove all of the tumors and risk impacting organs or other tissue linings.
Dr. Landreneau has years of experience improving survival for pleural mesothelioma patients with this procedure. He was the first surgeon to perform HITHOC for mesothelioma in Louisiana.
How to See Dr. Landreneau for Mesothelioma Surgery
If you live in or near Pennsylvania, we can help you contact Dr. Landreneau and the team at Penn Highlands Healthcare. If you live out of the area and wish to see him, we can help with travel grants.
Sources & Author
- Rodney J. Landreneau, MD. Penn Highlands Healthcare. Retrieved from: https://www.phhealthcare.org/doctor/landreneau-rodney-j-md-649. Accessed: 10/19/2021.
- Welcome, Rodney Landreneau, MD. Penn Highlands Healthcare. Retrieved from: https://www.phhealthcare.org/news/penn-highlands-healthcare-news/welcome-rodney-landreneau-md. Accessed: 10/19/2021.