Mesothelioma Guide recently got in touch with our survivor, Kendra Ferreira.

She was kind enough to answer a few questions that many people ask when they contact our patient advocates.

Kendra’s responses were so inspiring that we have decided to break up her answers into a 2 part series. With that being said, please make sure that you check back with us on Thursday.

Understanding Your Prognosis

It is important that mesothelioma patients remember that a prognosis is a prediction. This is just a doctor’s educated guess as to what the outcome of a patient’s disease is going to be.

Kendra Ferreira - mesothelioma survivor

Nobody wants to be told that they have a life expectancy of 12 to 21 months. However, there have been many mesothelioma survivors, just like Kendra, who have outlived their prognosis.

When Kendra was first diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma, she was given a 24 month prognosis. Here is what she had to say about her prognosis.

Q: How did you get over your initial prognosis?
A: I was extremely scared and overwhelmed, I had never even heard of mesothelioma. I prayed quite a bit, cried on everyone’s shoulder and found other cancer survivors I could talk to. I have two really close friends who both survived ovarian cancer when they weren’t supposed to, they helped give me so much encouragement. My oncologist put me in touch with another meso patient who had already been through the protocol of surgery and chemo so I asked about what to possibly expect from treatments.

Preparing for Treatment

Treatment for mesothelioma is an aggressive process for a patient to endure. Treatment can consist of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. In many circumstances, these treatment options can be combined to combat a patient’s disease.

Kendra’s treatment plan consisted of chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery. Here is what she told Mesothelioma Guide in response to preparing for treatment.

Q: What advice would you give about prepping for treatment. Did you take any specific supplements, have big changes in your diet, or do any workout routines?
A: My doctor told me to eat healthy foods and not to worry if I put on a few extra pounds. I have always eaten healthy so I didn’t change my diet. I took vitamins and walked a little every day to keep my lungs in good shape, I found the fresh air would feel good for my soul and clear my thoughts. I did take multivitamins also.

Words Every Patient Needs to Know

Many mesothelioma warriors and their loved ones contact Mesothelioma Guide’s patient advocates Karen Ritter and Carl Jewett. Their mission is to provide the best resources and answers to any questions that are directed their way.

Sometimes the best answers can come from someone that a patient can truly relate to. With that being said, we are thankful for Kendra taking the time to share her words of wisdom with us. Here is what she believes that every mesothelioma patient needs to hear.

Q: What words do you think that every mesothelioma patient needs to hear?
A: A positive attitude is so important and also to take care of yourself. Cry on shoulders when you need to and don’t be afraid to let others help you, people want to help. Eat healthy and organic if possible, I enjoyed light exercise; walking and yoga is good for the soul. Do things you enjoy, when you feel good take a day trip, change up your scenery, or go somewhere where you can forget you have cancer for a little while.

As previously mentioned, this is only the first part of what Kendra shared with us. Make sure that you check back on Thursday. To check out more survivor stories just like Kendra’s, you can request a free Mesothelioma Survivors Guide.

Did some of Kendra’s advice help answer any questions that you may be having?
Please let us know in a comment below.

Sources & Author

Picture of Devin Golden

About the Writer, Devin Golden

Devin Golden is a content writer for Mesothelioma Guide. He produces mesothelioma-related content on various mediums, including the Mesothelioma Guide website and social media channels. Devin's objective is to translate complex information regarding mesothelioma into informative, easily absorbable content to help patients and their loved ones.