Each year, the U.S. News & World Report online news source ranks the top hospitals in the country. The list of 21, which the website calls the “Honor Roll,” intends to highlight the best of the best among more than 5,000 institutions evaluated.
In the 2019-2020 rankings, which were released at the end of July, numerous cancer centers and hospitals with mesothelioma specialists received praise. The news outlet also includes specific rankings about each hospital’s offerings, including the quality or presence of:
- Patient experience
- Neonatal intensive care unit
- Pediatric intensive care unit
- Fertility clinic
- Bariatric/weight control services
- Addiction treatment
- Nurse staffing
The list also includes how the hospital ranks in specific types of treatment and units, including cancer care and surgeries related to mesothelioma (such as lung operations like extrapleural pneumonectomy). The unit and treatment rankings are based on patient experience, 30-day survival rates, the volume of patients and patient discharge to home.
The list, from worst to best ranking (although if you made this article, “worst” isn’t an appropriate adjective), is below. The hospitals offering an esteemed mesothelioma treatment program are in bold and we’ve listed more information further below regarding some of these hospitals and their rankings:
- Yale New Haven Hospital, tied for 20th
- Houston Methodist Hospital, tied for 20th
- Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, tied for 18th
- University of Pennsylvania Penn-Presbyterian hospitals, tied for 18th
- University of Wisconsin hospitals, 17th
- Keck Hospital of University of Southern California, 16th
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside, 15th
- Mount Sinai Hospital, 14th
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 13th
- Stanford Health Care, 12th
- University of Michigan hospitals, 11th
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 10th
- New York University (NYU) Langone, 9th
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 8th
- University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center, 7th
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Medical Center, 6th
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital, 5th
- Cleveland Clinic, 4th
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, 3rd
- Massachusetts General Hospital, 2nd
- Mayo Clinic, 1st
Mount Sinai Hospital
Mount Sinai Hospital, located in New York, received high-performing marks for cancer treatment and lung surgeries. The hospital is where specialists Dr. Raja Flores (pleural mesothelioma) and Dr. Daniel Labow (peritoneal mesothelioma) practice.
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Located in Boston, Brigham & Women’s Hospital has one of the premier mesothelioma centers in the country. The hospital is ranked fifth for cancer treatment and in the top 30 for lung surgery. Numerous mesothelioma specialists, including Dr. Rafael Bueno and Dr. Avi Lebenthal, practice there.
Located in New York City, this hospital is home to Dr. Harvey Pass. He is one of the best pleural mesothelioma specialists in the country. NYU Langone is ranked in the top 20 in cancer treatment and top 30 in lung surgery.
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco’s main university-affiliated hospital ranks seventh overall. It’s 12th in cancer care and top 10 in lung surgery. Two pleural mesothelioma specialists, Dr. Thierry Jahan and Dr. David Jablons, work at the UCSF Helen Diller Family Cancer Center.
UCLA Medical Center
Los Angeles’ primary state university hospital ranks just ahead of the San Francisco location. It is No. 3 in lung surgery and in the top 25 for cancer treatment. There is an experienced mesothelioma treatment team at UCLA Medical Center, which is why many patients are referred to here.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Widely considered Baltimore’s top hospital, Johns Hopkins is one of the top cancer and mesothelioma treatment centers in the world. It’s ranked fourth for cancer care (mostly due to the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center) and ninth for lung surgery. Dr. Patrick Forde and Dr. Fabian Johnston are the two noteworthy mesothelioma specialists, and the team at this hospital can help both pleural and peritoneal patients.
The Mayo Clinic, located in Rochester, Minnesota, is No. 1 on the U.S. News & World Report list. Why? Well, the hospital ranks in the top 10 for just about every category. For mesothelioma specifically, Mayo Clinic is third for cancer care and second for lung surgery.
Dr. Tobias Peikert and Dr. Aaron Mansfield headline the mesothelioma treatment team at this facility, which can help both pleural and peritoneal victims.
If you or a loved one has mesothelioma, you can receive treatment from any of these hospitals. Affordable care is possible if you take the appropriate response to your diagnosis. Contact one of our patient advocates, registered nurse Jenna Campagna, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Show Sources & Author
- The Best Hospitals 2019-20 Honor Roll. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/health-care/best-hospitals/slideshows/the-honor-roll-of-best-hospital. Accessed: 07/31/19.