Aromatherapy is a therapeutic approach that can be used to treat diseases, such as mesothelioma. It is a form of therapy that has many benefits and can help alleviate symptoms that a patient may be experiencing.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is also known as essential oil therapy. It consists of oils that are created from a plant’s flowers, leaves, stalks, bark, rind, or roots.
Patients are able to use essential oils by:
- Applying them to their skin
- Putting them in their bath water
- Spraying them in the air
- Using them in a cold diffuser
- Inhaling them
Essential oils work by stimulating nerves in the nose. These nerves then send impulses to parts of the brain that control memory and emotion. Different oils result in the body either being calmed or stimulated.
Benefits of Essential Oils
Practitioners and researchers believe that essential oils help by interacting with the body. It has been proven that essential oils have the ability to affect the body’s hormones, enzymes, blood pressure, and pulse.
Some essential oils are capable of reducing stress and can help the body produce pain-fighting substances. Using essential oils in conjunction with other pain management techniques may help mesothelioma patients during treatment.
There hasn’t been much research completed on natural therapies, which includes essential oils. However, the studies that have been completed give researchers hope that essential oils may have the potential to help fight and cure cancer.
4 Helpful Essential Oils
There are many types of essential oils and they all have different health benefits that are associated with them. Here are 4 essential oils that have displayed great success in cancer research.
Turmeric has the ability to help reduce pain and inflammation. Sometimes a mesothelioma patient may experience some of these symptoms during or after treatment.
Researchers believe that turmeric has the ability to help a patient heal faster. Researchers have also discovered that turmeric can differentiate between normal cells and cancer cells and it can promote cell death.
Frankincense has been at the center of a lot of cancer research. It boosts the immune system and can help prevent illnesses. This essential oil also has anti-inflammatory effects.
Frankincense has been proven to help improve circulation in the body, reduce stress, and relieve pain. Using this essential oil could help a patient if they are experiencing stiff limbs or joints due to chemotherapy.
Lavender has the ability to help a patient manage the side effects that they may be experiencing from treatment. It does this by reducing stress, improving sleep, and helping with depression and anxiety.
This essential oil also supports the immune system and helps fight against serious germs. In research, lavender has shown signs of reducing tumors, inhibiting cell growth, and improving healing.
Peppermint is useful against fighting strong bacterias and it has anti-inflammatory effects. Studies have revealed that peppermint can help a patient manage unpleasant side effects from radiation treatment.
Research has unveiled that peppermint has the ability to suppress the growth of tumors. Researchers have also discovered that it has the ability to prevent tumors from developing their own blood supply.
- The Truth About Cancer And Essential Oils. Cancer Tutor. Retrieved from: https://www.cancertutor.com/truth-cancer-essential-oils/?utm_source=sumome&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sumome_share. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- The Truth About Essential Oils for Cancer. DRERICZ. Retrieved from: http://drericz.com/essential-oils-for-cancer/. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oils (PDQ®)–Health Professional Version. National Cancer Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/aromatherapy-pdq. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- My 5 Favorite Cancer-Fighting Essential Oils & 5 Ways to Use Them. The Truth About Cancer. Retrieved from: https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/essential-oils-for-cancer/. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- Aromatherapy (Essential Oils Therapy) - Topic Overview. WebMD. Retrieved from: http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/tc/aromatherapy-essential-oils-therapy-topic-overview#1. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- Turmeric Essential Oil Benefits in the Fight Against Cancer. Dr. Axe. Retrieved from: https://draxe.com/turmeric-essential-oil/. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- What Lavender Can Do for You. Healthline. Retrieved from: http://www.healthline.com/health/what-lavender-can-do-for-you#overview1. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- Past Research Finds Mint to Protect Against Cancer and Radiation Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/mints-protect-against-radiation-cancer/#ixzz4pkAULwrx Follow us: @naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook. Natural Society. Retrieved from: http://naturalsociety.com/mints-protect-against-radiation-cancer/. Accessed: 08/02/2017.
- Mint leaf starves cancer to death. BBC News. Retrieved from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3870231.stm. Accessed: 08/09/2017.
- Radioprotective potential of mint: A brief review. Cancerjournal.net. Retrieved from: http://www.cancerjournal.net/article.asp?issn=0973-1482;year=2010;volume=6;issue=3;spage=255;epage=262;aulast=Baliga. Accessed: 08/09/2017.
Sources & Author